gbcs540

Georgian Bay Community School (GBCS) students return to school on Thursday after an evacuation on Wednesday due to a suspicious odour in the school.

Staff and students were evacuated as a precaution from the school building on Wednesday morning (October 19) after a sulphur-like odour was detected. Meaford's Fire Department attended the school to investigate.

Firefighters on the scene told The Independent that though there was no danger, the school had decided to close for the day while the source of the odour was located.

GBCS Principal Kathy Damsma used social media to update parents on the situation at the school.

The Bluewater Staff and fire department have determined there is no imminent risk to students. As a precaution we have students being picked up so we can determine the source of the odour. We appreciate everyone's efforts today,” Damsma posted on Facebook early Wednesday afternoon.

Students of the grade 4 – 12 school were moved to the athletic field to await pick-up by their parents after the evacuation.

Later in the day, Damsma confirmed on social media that it was safe to return to the school after it was determined that the odour was attributed to a malfunctioning boiler switch.

A huge thank you to GBCS, Bluewater and the municipal staff for coordinating today's efforts. All is well in the school. It was a mechanical issue with a boiler switch that has been fixed,” advised the Principal. “See you all tomorrow morning!”