As a result of an ongoing investigation, on July 20, 2018, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Community Street Crime Unit Grey-Bruce (CSCU), with the assistance of the Huron-Perth CSCU, West Region Emergency Response Team (ERT), West Region Canine Unit and the Grey County OPP Crime Unit, executed a Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA) search warrant at a residence on the 7th Line in the Municipality of Meaford.
As a result of the execution of the search warrant, police seized over 3,200 marijuana plants and approximately 10 kilograms of marijuana bud. Police also seized offence-related property as well as a 22 calibre firearm.
The estimated combined value of the seized controlled substances was $709,750. The estimated value of the seized offence-related property was $10,100.00.
Four males were arrested at the scene. They were identified as:
1. 46-year old Chengyu Zhu of the Municipality of Meaford.
2. 36-year old Wo Min Liang of Markham.
3. 43-year old Zhiang Yeh of Markham.
4. 57-year old Jian Heng Deng of Toronto.
Each man was charged with the following offences:
- Produce a Schedule II Substance (Cannabis Marijuana)
- Possession of Marijuana for the Purpose of Trafficking
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm
- Careless Storage of a Firearm
All four accused are scheduled to appear in court in Owen Sound on September 6, 2018.